“It’s made the world of drag and being gay a little less scary and that’s my favorite thing about the show existing.” – Bea Dazzler
In the second episode of The Drag Show Podcast, Brandi Amara Skyy talks to Bea Dazzler about RuPaul’s The Guardian comments, why cis/AFAB drag matters and how the landscape of female drag has changed since 1998. Plus we dive into the term faux queen, Michelle Visage at the 2015 Faux Queen Pageant, and Bea’s personal experience working for RuPaul.
LISTEN TO THE SHOW
Subscribe: iTunes | Stitcher – COMING SOON!
- What the term female drag queen means to me
- San Francisco as one of the birthplaces of female drag
- How the drag scene reacted to female drag queens in late 90’s
- Bea Dazzler’s first experience within the drag community
- Does being involved with the community maker it easier for female drag artists?
- Drag as an exploration of gender and gender identity
- Michelle Visage at the 2015 San Francisco Faux Queen Pageant
- How the female drag scene changed since the emergence of RuPaul’s Drag Race
- The term faux queen — and why we both like it
- Nontraditional drag performers who fit into the cis/AFAB drag world
- #1 thing Bea has learned from all her years of drag
- Bea’s favorite drag shows in San Francisco
Download a PDF of the Show Notes here.
THE 3RD SHOW IS LANDING IN YOUR EARS April 4 AT 7PM!
RESOURCES, PEEPS, AND THINGS MENTIONED
RuPaul: ‘Drag is a big f-you to male-dominated culture’ The Guardian article that started it all
The Craft of Drag: A werkbook for female drag queens, kings & queens, and anyone looking to get started in the art of drag SPECIAL: $10 NOW TILL MIDNIGHT SUNDAY MARCH 26 WITH THE CODE I’M A VID *************** Buy here: bit.ly/CraftofDragG
Download yo free chapter here
MORE FROM BEA DAZZLER
MORE FROM BRANDI AMARA SKYY
The Craft of Drag: A werkbook for female drag queens, kings and queens, and anyone looking to get started in drag – Book ***SPECIAL DISCOUNT RATE FOR YOU NOW UNTIL MIDNIGHT SUNDAY, MARCH 25. ENTER THE CODE I’MAVID AT CHECK OUT TO GET MY BEST-SELLING E-BOOK FOR $10!!**
Drag University – Launching July 16, 2018!