In the third episode of The Drag Show Podcast, Brandi Amara Skyy talks to May May Graves about EVVVERYTHING. From making her music and drag dreams come true to fucking up the drag norm to the semantical arguments of drag to never ever being afraid to be different or weird, this conversation — and May May herself — is off the mother fucking chain!
“I’m basically the drag version of that girl in high school who’s trying new things but she’s sticking with it because it’s not a phase.” – May May Graves
“Don’t be afraid to be ugly. Its okay if your eyebrows suck — as long you think they’re fierce.” – May May Graves
“Your brand is like a pageant package.” – May May Graves
LISTEN TO THE SHOW
Subscribe: iTunes | Stitcher – COMING SOON!
- Burlesque and drag crossover
- Dragula (and the + & – ‘s of competition based drag)
- Getting bookings when you’re drag is different
- “Starting over” when you move cities or join a new drag community
- Finding & developing your drag brand
- 3 key things to May May’s brand (and how to find yours)
- Making your drag dreams come true by taking that first step
- May May’s advice to anyone who feels pulled to drag outside the box
- Labels, identifiers, and the semantics of drag
- Female drag queens and other non-traditional drag artists
- Evolving drag beyond gender-bound definitions
- How we can move forward as a community
- And she even manages to get Kayne in the convo too 😉
If you’re working on discovering and honing in on your brand ask yourself the same question May May did when she coming into being:
“If I was the viewer, what are the #1 things I would want to see in my favorite drag queen?”
Use your answer as the stepping stones to build your own brand.
Download a PDF of the Show Notes here.
The 4th show is landing in your ears Wednesday, May 16th at 7pm!
RESOURCES, PEEPS, AND THINGS MENTIONED
May May Graves new EP “Monsters” – 5 Tracks + Remixes
Bursting out of an 80s Slasher Flick with her delicious blend of Glamour Horror Electro Dance Music. Pre-order on Kickstarter here
MORE FROM MAY MAY GRAVES
MORE FROM BRANDI AMARA SKYY
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
WANT MORE? SIGN-UP FOR OUR VIP LIST HERE!