Does drag include girls who don’t have a penis? My answer is absolutely. The future wants her included and not only the future, the community at large wants her included. And the future wants the king included and the boys included and everyone who is participating in what we are doing in the drag community. — Richard Curtin
One of the biggest things that changed is to secure bookings you had to compete in pageants. — Richard Curtin
ABOUT THE EPISODE
Drag hasn’t always been what we see on TV today.
Today my guest is someone who has seen it all — and, as longtime show director, has been actually experienced drag’s evolution first hand. It’s good stuff. It’s challenging stuff. It stuff that will make your drag brain explode (it sure did mine!)
In this episode, i talk with Edna Jean Robinson about the evolution of drag, drag as a character development (and how she developed hers) AND as an extension of the self, and how the future of drag is all-inclusive to ALL gender, forms, and expressions.
This is part one of a larger conversation i have with her and Part 1 of our What is Drag? series. Enjoy drag lovers!
LISTEN TO THE SHOW
Subscribe: iTunes | SoundCloud | Stitcher – COMING SOON!
TOPICS DISCUSSED (with all new timestamps!)
- Drag being about a character a la its theater origins 11:07
- Drag persona and character development/ character breakdown (THIS IS GOLD!) 13:41
- Drag persona as an extension of the self vs. character develop 15:34
- Wiliam’s Trans comments 20:09
- Kathy Griffin political art 21:00
- How drag has evolved 23:00 + 25:45
- Drag mirroring burlesque 29:08
- Pageant systems being created and added from a community need 31:15
- “The greatest evolution of drag is that there are so many people doing it” 32:56
- The future of drag is ALL-INCLUSIVE 34:13
- What drag is about NOW 35:25
Download a PDF of the complete Show Notes here.
TIP YOUR MC & SHOW CREW!
Write down what you want out of drag. Why is that important to you? And what will you do to make it happen?
RESOURCES, PEEPS, AND THINGS MENTIONED
Devin Dame & Gage Gatlyn – Gatlyn Dame Group
Thank you Dana!!!!!
Miss Gay America
Started in 1972
Miss Gay USofA
Started in 1986
Miss Gay USofA at Large
Miss Gay USofA Classic
Started in 2003
MORE FROM EDNA JEAN ROBINSON AKA RICHARD CURTIN
MORE FROM BRANDI AMARA SKYY
Drag University – Launching August 13th!
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
AND THANK YOU TO THE TDSP TEAM: JESSICA J’ADORE & NA’TALIA D BLACK!!!!
WANT MORE? SIGN-UP FOR OUR VIP LIST HERE!
AND DON’T FORGET TO ….
TIP YOUR MC & SHOW CREW!
Become a Patron! ♥ Thank You!